Airbrushing Dryads

Enter the airbrush challenge…
Zenith lighting in color!


Not really caring about these particular minis, they became the perfect test subjects for the airbrush trials.

I have had these minis for a while. They are the Dryads of Bezelay (Tale of War Miniatures, 000102)

When I saw them, I thought the box art painting looked incredible. I took the plunge and picked some up.
These were the most horribly cast minis I have seen in a long time. Each mini had multiple flash lines on them, meaning that when they made the production mold they didn’t even bother to clean up the masters before putting them in the mold. ??? Also, it was clearly the end of the life for this particular mold because there were sections on a couple of miniatures where whole areas of detail were simply gone. On one if the minis I actually dug some mold rubber out of the casting!

Seeing this, these minis went pretty much to the end of the painting line, most likely never to be painted. I’m not going to spend my limited painting time on extensive repairs or simply painting bad minis.

Using Reaper white and Vallejo dark green paints, I layered from dark green slowly adding more and more white paint to the mix simulating zenith lighting with the highlights. This was done over a white primer coat.
In hindsight, black may have been a better prime color (or a darker green) because after airbrushing I did have to go back with a brush and darken the shadows more.

Basically, the majority of the skin was done the air brush. I liked the way it turned out so I switched to regular brush painting and finished out the minis in the more traditional way.



In spite of the horrible castings, these miniatures turned out very well. They were fun to paint actually. The airbrush was an ideal tool for these as it provided smooth skin tones to start with. As I said, I did go back and add more shadows and then more highlights and of course blending to smooth those transitions.
Painting all three at the same time, I believe they took a total of about six hours. That is less time than I would normally spend on three minis, so the airbrush does seem to speed painting up. More testing to come.
P.s. Please excuse the poor quality of photos. They are from my phone.